The worst feeling in the world is feeling powerless against our kids’ challenging behaviors. In an effort to regain control, we often threaten, yell, and assign ineffective consequences.
Here are the top 5 mistakes parents make when using consequences:
- We forget to reflect and regulate first which results in reacting instead of responding.
- We address our child’s chronological age instead of their emotional/developmental age.
- We use punishments instead of supports and accommodations.
- We don’t increase nurture to balance out the increased structure.
- We create unsustainable situations.
I made all five of these mistakes recently.